Thursday 6 December 2012

Rest in Peace

Sleep peacefully beautiful Aziza
Today has been a tragic day. This morning I heard the news that a beautiful little girl from our Down Syndrome Community had passed away. She had been taken to the hospital 20 hours previously with a 'stomach complaint'. She was only 6 years old and full of life. Now she is gone. I can't even begin to imagine what the last couple of days have been like for her Mum and her sisters. Nothing could ever prepare you for that!  Unimaginable pain and heartache. Give your children an extra kiss and hold them extra close tonight. No one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Later today, a Police Officer in New South Wales, responding to a call out was killed. He left behind a wife and three children. This really hit home for me because my husband, my eldest son, and my closest friends are all Police Officers. It's sometimes easy to forget just how dangerous their job can be and, at times like this, it becomes all too real. I hope people appreciate that the police do put their lives on the line every day. They are not there to annoy you by giving you speeding tickets. They respond to numerous jobs every day; many that are quite volatile. Today is a perfect example of things going terribly wrong. My heart breaks for the Officer's family. I don't know what I would do if I lost one of my own. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-06/police-officer-killed-in-axe-attack/4413626

So peaceful
I have hugged Felix so much today. I just didn't want to put him down. The thought of losing him is too painful to even imagine. He slept all night in his big boy bed last night and had his day sleep in there today. The great thing about him being in a bed is that I can snuggle him even more when I lay him down. This afternoon, when he was waking up from his sleep, I crept into his room and watched him as he woke up. I had tears in my eyes, in wonder of his precious little life, but also for a family who will never have the chance to watch their beautiful daughter and sister wake up again. I want to cherish every single second with Felix and never take his life for granted. Our kids lives, within the Down Syndrome community, can be so fragile. Enjoy every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment