Friday 10 August 2012

Poor Little Kangaroo

Joel with the naughty dogs
Life is never dull in our house. This morning I was woken up just after 5am by a strange noise coming from our kitchen. I pulled on a jacket and went to investigate. What I found were three very guilty looking dogs who had managed to get the back door open and into the house. They were having a wonderful time pulling rubbish out of the bins and eating the hot dog buns which were meant to be the kid's dinner tonight; all the while spreading dirt and mud everywhere. Thankfully I heard them before they went hurtling through the rest of the house. I had visions of Felix's toys all over the back lawn. I was actually glad, for once, that I'm a light sleeper. Needless to say, all the commotion was enough to wake Felix up, so our day started pretty early this morning.

What do you mean I'm not allowed
to climb on the table?
The end of our day was even more dramatic. I had to go out for a few minutes with Joel and, because Nathan and the other boys were busy, I decided to take Felix for a drive with us. The drive there went smoothly, but on the way back a kangaroo jumped two fences, and onto the road in front of my car. I barely had a second to react before I hit it. The poor thing struggled to get up and I could see it was hurt really badly. I was feeling so sorry for the kangaroo that I didn't even check if Felix was OK (which he was...the car didn't get knocked around too much).

It was dark so Joel jumped out of the car to try and get the kangaroo out of the middle of the road before it caused another accident. He sat and calmed it down while we waited for the Police to arrive. Felix, meanwhile, sat chatting away in his car seat, a bit excited by all the action. His eyes got huge when he saw the flashing Police lights. It sure beat a boring night at home! I got him out of the car and took him to see the lights a bit closer.The kangaroo wasn't going to survive and was in a lot of pain, so the Police put it out of it's misery. I covered Felix's ears, but he didn't seem bothered by the gunshots. I think he was enjoying his adventure.

Kisses from Isaiah
It wasn't until after all this that I thought to check the front of my car. Hmmmm.... if you have never seen a kangaroo up close (those of you non-Australians), they are pretty solidly built animals. This one was only a small one thankfully, but I still ended up with a smashed headlight, front grill and a dent in the bonnet. Enough damage to need it repaired unfortunately. I started to feel a bit angry about it, but then I reminded myself that Joel, Felix and I were all OK, we didn't hit the car which was driving next to us, and it could have been a whole lot worse than what it was. Kangaroos are responsible for some pretty serious accidents at times. Thankfully it's the first kangaroo I've ever hit since moving to the country 6 years ago, and hopefully it will be the last! I think I'll teach Felix how to sign 'kangaroo' tomorrow :)




No comments:

Post a Comment