Monday 30 July 2012

Sleepover

Another big drive!
We have just arrived home from a whirlwind trip to Adelaide to celebrate our beautiful, Amy's, 21st birthday. We had a nice dinner earlier in the night with Amy and her boyfriend, Daniel and Cate, Bekah, Joshua (who drove down with us) and Amy's boyfriend's lovely parents. Prior to Amy's party, we were able to meet Daniel's future parents-in-law (also very lovely people) for the first time, and have a look at the wedding venue he and Cate have chosen, which is stunning! In the evening, we had a great night with Amy at her party, caught up with some friends and suitably embarrassed Amy with a video of her life which Nathan had made for her.

We have never left Felix overnight before, but because Amy's party was in the city and we knew it was going to be a late night, we decided to leave him with my parents; his first sleepover! Poor little guy had been stuck in the car for five hours, so it was nice for him to get out at Granny and Papa's house and have a big play. He reached out for his Granny as soon as we arrived and was playing and having fun in no time.

Me, Amy and Bekah at Amy's 21st dinner
I thought I had better take Felix to the toilet before we left for the night. I put his potty seat onto the toilet, took his nappy off and sat him up there. Felix, being the busy little person he is, wriggles around quite a bit while he's on the toilet. He likes to grab for the toilet paper, look through empty toilet rolls or play with an empty tampon box (bit weird I know, but it keeps him occupied).

Felix can reach the toilet door at my Mum's house if he leans forward and stretches a bit. He found out the hard way that his potty seat doesn't fit quite as well on Granny's toilet as it does at home. He leaned forward too far and the seat flipped out from under him. He fell, legs first, into the toilet. Actually, it was one leg in the toilet and the other one on the outside! Thankfully, my reflexes were quick enough to grab him before the rest of him fell in. I had to refrain from laughing out loud; it was so funny. He looked quite puzzled as to what had happened. I quickly fixed the seat and sat him back on the potty (put him back on the horse so to speak), because I didn't want him to feel scared to sit on there again. I removed his soggy sock and let him finish his business! Never a dull moment with Felix around.

You're silly Mummy!
When we left Felix at my parent's place (with an extensive list of instructions), he was playing happily on the floor with my Mum sitting beside him. It was comforting to know he was having fun and not bothered when we left. I checked in with Mum an hour or so later and she told me that he was happy and settled, but hadn't eaten anything for dinner and they couldn't get him to drink anything. She was laughing when she told me they ended up with about five different plates of food in front of him to try and get him to eat. It had been a very long day for Felix, and sometimes when he's tired he doesn't eat much so Mum and Dad put him to bed and he fell asleep straight away.

This morning I sent Mum a text message to check on the little guy. They had a very early start at 5am and Felix still hadn't eaten anything or had anything to drink. True to form, he was still ridiculously happy and didn't seem bothered at all. I told Mum that he must have decided to go on a hunger strike to protest us leaving him. When we arrived to pick him up, he had just eaten a little bit but still hadn't had a drink. I picked him up and gave him a kiss then put his cup to his mouth. He had a HUGE drink and then looked back over my shoulder and gave my parents the cheekiest grin. Little monkey!


No comments:

Post a Comment